Sunday, April 29, 2012

One more week

Until I'm free!! Well....free for about 3 weeks, then summer semester starts. Just the same I am more than ready for the break.

A quick update from last week - we decided to move Alex's loft bed in front of his window. This will allow him to lay in bed and look out the window (what he was trying to do both times he fell out) without the danger of him falling out. So far it seems to be working - he looks out the window until he falls asleep.

This week is his first t-ball game, I'm pretty excited for it. I hope he enjoys it. His last practice he seemed to really have fun - not only was he obeying his coaches, he was doing so enthusiastically! He has been grumbling about going to swimming lately. He moved up a class (Pike Plus) and I think he is just adjusting to going from being able to do everything that was asked of him (Pike) to being back at the 'beginner' stage again. Although Kent & I do not want to force the kid to do something he doesn't want to do, I see swimming as a life skill first, a sport second. He's going to keep going. Once he can swim to the point where I am comfortable he won't drown if he were to fall in a pool, he doesn't have to go anymore. I'm not concerned about him doing swim team or any of that. I just want him to learn (more or less) how to not drown.

So back to me - almost ready to wrap up the year at both LLCC and UIS. I have now finished 2 of my 10 courses for my doctoral program, and will be taking another course this summer. As of right now I am planning on only taking 1 class this fall (my required class) but I have come across several adjunct teaching opportunities that I am going to apply for. Don't get me wrong - I love LLCC, but every semester it seems iffy as to if I'll get more than 1 or 2 classes (I really  need 3 per semester to be able to pay for my UIS class without having to yank my monthly savings account contribution). I have no intent of leaving LLCC but if I could pick up 1 or 2 other classes elsewhere that would provide enough income for me to take 2 classes/semester and get this wrapped up more quickly. So as soon as I'm finished with my last paper for my class I need to start working on my cover letters and update my CV. Hoping and praying I can figure out how to make all of this work and ultimately trusting that God knows the path ahead of me and will take care of us. I refuse to take out student loans to pay for this degree (which I estimate will take $20,000) and am just going to have to be content living on a tight budget for a while. I know it will be worth it to graduate debt free and be able to immediately start building our house (or buy one, if I'm not able to find a job here). Would much rather stay here and build on our property than to have to move. If you know me, I refuse to live in town so that limits things as well!



No comments:

Post a Comment