Monday, April 23, 2012

My kid has no fear.

No pictures this week. Sorry.

So we built Alex a loft bed. He has a rather small bedroom (compared to Haley's tiny room...that's what happens when you're firstborn). He has a fairly large train table which takes up a lot of room. We decided a loft bed would be an excellent option for him as he would have a lot of room to play underneath it.

We built it, using some plans we bought from menards as a rough guide (We mainly robbed the supply list and possibly used step 1...then deviated). Alex's ceiling slopes, and he has a ceiling fan, so I wanted a custom bed. I figured it was cheaper to make it ourselves than to purchase a loft bed (really expensive) or buy a bunk bed (slightly cheaper) and modify.

He's been doing great in it, he's got rails so he won't roll out. Good thing too because he's usually asleep riht up against the outside rail.

Saturday night, about 5 minutes after we put him to bed, I hear a crash followed by a scream. I run in to find him laying in a heap on the floor, on his back, on a small pile of toys next to the window. He'd been messing with it and fell out (and from the way he was laying...I'm pretty sure he did a full somersault in the air as his head was pointed the opposite direction it should have been.

So I scooped him up, cuddled him. Kissed his boo boos (fairly impressive set of small bruises on his back - thanks to the toys) and discussed what happened. I put him back to bed, he immediately went to sleep. Last night (Sunday night) - went right to sleep.

Tonight - didn't go right to sleep. After several trips down there to put him back in bed, and several more times of him getting OUT of bed (he has more excuses than I can recall at this point)...I finally warmed up his rice sack, crawled up on the bed, tucked him in, gave him a hug and had him promise me he would go to sleep. He promised, and sounded sincere (hey, sometimes it works!). 10 minutes later I hear a crash and a scream. I go in and find him in a pile on the floor with the curtain rod dangling. He was definitely hurt - thankfully not bad. He's got a very impressive bruise/scrape on the left side of this chest. So I scooped him up, cuddled him. Kissed his boo boos and discussed what happened (see a pattern here)? I took him in the bathroom to show him the nasty bruise on his chest. That's gonna really hurt in the morning. I sent him out to sit on the couch b/c his crash and screams woke up Haley...so I had to calm her down and get her back in bed. She came out and gave Alex a hug. She seemed genuinely worried about him.

So I had Alex help me pick up the toys and told him he was no longer sleeping on the loft - we were going to wake up daddy and have him help me move his mattress to the floor. (Side note - I did have the toys picked up in the area that he fell.....learned that lesson Saturday night - so he just hit the floor...and curtain rod he pulled down with him).

So he was upset. He was very quiet, sad, and he knows he screwed up. I didn't lecture him, I didn't yell - just discussed with him what happened, and why I don't want to risk it happening again. I made sure he knew I wasn't mad - just disappointed and sad that he didn't keep his promise to go to sleep.

Haven't decided what I'm going to do. The bed is over 5" tall - the top of his rail is above my eye level. That's a long way to fall. I'm not sure he if he learned his lesson. He apologized very sincerely to me for breaking his promise.

Love my little guy.

Trying to figure out the odds of him making it to adulthood without breaking his neck.....

No comments:

Post a Comment